29 mar 2007

The Young Invincibles



They’re young and healthy, and insurance is expensive. As long as they don’t catch the flu, slip on the ice, crash a bike, snowboard into a tree, rupture an appendix, or get hit by a bus, everything will be fine. Right?
By David Amsden




Jake Hollner Age: 24 Occupation: Home Depot employee, artist They offer insurance at Home Depot, but you’re only allowed to sign up during a two-week period and I missed it. If it’s a cut or bruise or whatever, I try to patch it up myself. I usually know what to do. I bruised a rib last winter. I just wrapped it in rags to keep it tight, and it got better after a few weeks. Also, I cut my head on a wineglass back at Halloween. I was very drunk, and there was blood all over the place. My friend wanted to call the ambulance, but I told her not to. I just cleaned it out myself. Now I’ve got a scar, but at least I’m not broke. Precautions: I like to climb things, trees and bridges and things like that. I don’t usually think about it until after I’m hurt. Anxieties: None.

Rebecca Mirsky Age: 27 Occupation: Gallerist I’m single and I can’t be on my mother’s insurance and I’m not a student anymore, so it’s like all of a sudden I don’t fall anywhere. I just sprained my ankle really badly, which is the first time I’ve been hurt since not having insurance. I was rock climbing at Chelsea Piers and I fell. I can’t work for a week, then I’m going to be on crutches. It cost me about $600.  Precautions: I go to the gym five times a week, and I do a lot of yoga, which I think is restorative. When I go to Hunter to snowboard, I don’t do jumps, I don’t go into the half-pipe. I don’t bike as aggressively either—I don’t jump off things anymore. Anxieties: My fear is that I’m not going to be doing what I want to do because I don’t want to get hurt.

One in four New Yorkers is uninsured

No hay comentarios: